Sunday, August 28, 2011

Just close your eyes and SLEEP




This cute little booger has been giving us fits when it comes to going to bed at night. I don't know why something so natural and necessary and seemingly easy van be so hard! I mean come on, when I'm tired I lay down, close my eyes, and fall asleep. Not babies, nope, they just cry. It's our job to teach them about the whole close your eyes part.

When I was pregnant I read all the books and did my research and thought that getting a baby to sleep all night was going to be pretty simple. All it took was getting the kid on a schedule and not nursing him to sleep. Easy right?! Wrong! It is nearly impossible to be on a regular schedule and have a life at the same time. It is also impossible to get a stubborn little babe to nap longer than 30 mins at a time when he doesn't want to.

Beck hasn't always been an awful sleeper, that makes his recent relapse even more frustrating. When he was about 5 weeks he started sleeping from 9ish to 3ish, eating and then sleeping again until about 6. I could totally handle that and was actually told how lucky I was. Well, my luck ran out. A couple weeks ago he randomly started getting up earlier than 2 which meant he also got up earlier than 6. Then he started waking up every 3 hours. Some nights he would get up every 2 hours. I was so annoyed. He is sleeping worse then when he was a newborn!

We finally decided that enough is enough and have started to let him cry himself to sleep. I didn't want to do that because it sounds so mean, but frustration has taken over and we are willing to try anything. We've only been doing it 3 nights so we haven't noticed many changes yet but I'm hopeful that it will help because this mamma needs some sleep! I'm all ears if anyone has some tips for me!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are doing really good with letting him cry. Way to be strong. I do have one suggestion, don't let him sleep from 4-9. That might be a big gap, I'm not sure how old he is but give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely second that. Come 4, we didn't let Cordy sleep anymore and that helped her to go to bed earlier. And we definitely had to let her cry herself to sleep. I wish we would have done it sooner (we waited until she was 5 months..but I had lost it by then). So be strong! It makes a huge difference and was totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete